Friday, June 16, 2017

London Calling

London 2017


Ah, London…..for each of us there are places that feel like a homecoming. England is like that for me. Whether I've gone three decades or a year between visits, it feels familiar and exciting to me at the same time. That doesn't mean it also doesn't feel foreign, which I choose to make part of the excitement. Some of the challenge is just the 21st Century, and my lack of skill with Kiosk’s. Well, I got my cash quickly at the airport ATM, but it did take me five tries to top off my Oyster card…… I was spoiled last summer having Mary as my personal assistant and tour guide.


Finding my way to the Piccadilly Line was no problem and I was quickly jostling along enjoying the sights from the train. I was eyeing my new shiny black spinner suitcase from amazon.com skeptically. It is twice as large of a suitcase as I usually take, but ten days in countryside, gifts, nine days in the city and a graduation ceremony required the acquisition of this bag. Should I stay on the train until my destination Covent Garden? Noooooooo. It's a day and a half in London and I am not going to waste my opportunity to walk the parks. 


I'd like to say I alight from the train, but there was a little heaving and lifting onto the Hyde Park platform. Practicing gratitude for the escalator instead of 100 Victorian era stairs I could be hauling my case up, I exited happily and made my first street crossing into the park….”look right, left, right”. As I crossed into the park, I felt my body audibly exhale….like the best deep yoga cleansing breathe. My opportunity to drink in the 80 degree London day and to begin letting some of my school year tension and worries go.


I was a little disoriented, looking for the park signs. Ah, the coffee kiosk. Coffee in London is not the NescafĂ© of the 1980’s mercifully. One flat white in hand, and the helpful directions of the barista to the Marble Arch and St. James Park and I was on my way. 


I love these parks! I am walking along looking at the fence around Buckingham Palace and wondering if The Queen and her corgi’s are in the garden on such a lovely day. As I advance I look for her in front of the palace, but no sighting today. The Queens guards always worth the look. 


I am strolling along and am pretty sure I look chic, after all I am in London. I am passing Clarence House and remembering my tea there with my American teacher friends Bobbie and Nicki, that special day we met Princess Diana….our Diana. I'm jolted out of my reminiscence with gasps of “excuse me Madam”! I turn and find that my suitcase has burst the zip, and my knickers and other personal items are scattered around St. James Park. Uh, not so chic!


These men wanted to help me put things back together, but there are some things you'd rather stuff back into your case yourself. I gave thanks and walked on, now quite sweaty and frazzled and embracing the reality of long distance travel while praying I can make my way to Covent Garden without another incident from this black swivel wheel case. Not so lucky, burst two and my iPad bouncing in the gravel…..I pause for a bit and just laugh.


I make it past Admiral Lord Nelson and Trafalgar Square with a new method of pulling my case so that I am sure even if the zipper burst that my belongings would stay intact. I make my way up the incline to Drury Lane drinking London life in. It is GOOD to be here…….


I spent a wonderful evening in Covent Garden with my friends Jan and Peter, and a sleepless night in the Travel Lodge. I am excited though, because today we are going to The Trooping of the Colour, something Janice and I did 32 years ago with her mother.  Sometimes it's good to step away and treat yourself to an occasion with a lifelong friend. I also have a new luggage strap that will do nicely for securing my baggage, and that I can also use as a yoga strap that I regretted not packing. 


Here I am! Lucky me.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to start out your 25 day journey through London and the countryside with 80 degree weather. Tell Janice and Peter hello from me. I will be thinking about you each day. Amazon will not like your suitcase endorsement!

    ReplyDelete